Date of Award

7-2020

Degree Type

Thesis

Degree Name

Master of Science

Department

Psychology

Program

Other

Program

Applied Behavior Analysis

First Advisor/Chairperson

Jacob Daar, Ph.D

Abstract

This study evaluated the effect of tolerance on an individual’s betting behavior after experiencing a history of a high probability of winning. Participants were randomly assigned into two groups and played a series of blackjack hands. The first group experienced an 80% probability of winning for phase 2 before experiencing a third phase with only a 20% probability of winning. The second group had a 20% probability of winning throughout the duration of the game, and data were collected to observe for tolerance in betting while experiencing these phases. It was hypothesized group 2 would have no change in betting behavior, while group 1 would continue to bet a larger amount due to the initial condition of 80% probability of winning, thus demonstrating tolerance. The results show that betting behavior decreased for participants in group 1 in phase 3 as the participants experienced an increase in losses; however, subjects in group 1 and group 2 did not differ significantly in betting during phase 3, suggesting that no within-session tolerance was displayed.

Access Type

NMU Users Only

Share

COinS