•  
  •  

Abstract

Increasing tree canopy cover is a powerful tool for mitigating the effects of urban heat on the natural and built environment, specifically the effects of ecosystem stress and air quality. Heat can also place stress on human health. Northern Michigan University (NMU) is proposing to build a new tree nursery on campus, which would help alleviate urban heat in Marquette. Finding suitable areas at NMU to plant new trees from this nursery is an essential component of this effort. A goal of my project was to provide this helpful information. Using GIS and remote sensing techniques in ArcGIS Pro and ERDAS Imagine, I mapped existing tree canopy cover, soils, and elevation on NMU’s campus. I also analyzed satellite imagery to determine Land Surface Temperature (LST) values. The maps demonstrated that the area around the Jacobetti Complex is the warmest and has the lowest percentage of canopy cover. The soils of this area of campus are well-drained and the terrain is moderate. When NMU Facilities is ready to plant more trees, they should consider the area surrounding the Jacobetti Complex to offset the urban heat effect of the building.

Class Associated With Work

GC 488 Earth and Environmental Science Capstone Research

Major

Environmental Science (natural resources concentration) and French

Document Type

Scholarly Article

MKelly_FacultyApprovalForm.pdf (141 kB)
MKelly_FacultyApprovalForm.pdf

Share

COinS