•  
  •  

Abstract

In this paper, I examine the relationship between Cuba's core values and the rhetoric used by revolutionary leaders. To do so, I frame my paper around two critical questions; how was it that revolutionary leaders created such a deep loyalty to their cause, and in what ways has that loyalty continued today? As such, I will investigate how the rhetorical choices exemplified in linguistic, visual, and other ethnographic observations, collected in a trip to Cuba in 2020, represent a Cuban society that continues these revolutionary characteristics as is carried out through themes of community identity and belongingness, a desire to contribute to the system, and unified spirit that I have learned represents Cuba society. Despite their revolution ending in 1959, the perception on the island is very different as Cubans still carry many of their intentions forward. The people of Cuba today continue to exemplify revolutionary ideals of community, contribution, unity, and resilience. Resilience being a thread that emerges throughout the themes and ideas I uncovered. By exploring the connection between words and cultural identity, we can understand how language is used to create a cohesive society. This objective is seeming less and less possible amid our current political climate. Importantly, I hope that through the exploration of these rhetorical practices, we can begin to truly grasp just how powerful particular messaging is and, in parallel, see how these principles may be used by United States (U.S.) leaders to unite our country.

Class Associated With Work

GC300 - Global Studies: Cuba

Major

Communication Studies

Minor

Music

Document Type

Scholarly Article

faculty_approval_form.docx (16 kB)
Faculty Approval Form

Share

COinS