- Philosophy of
- Who Can Submit?
- General Submission Rules
- Paper Review Policy
- Formatting Requirements
- Rights for Authors
For more information, please see Aims and Scope page.
Who Can Submit?
Anyone may submit an original paper to be considered for publication in and for presentation at the annual conference, provided he or she owns the copyright to the work being submitted or is authorized by the copyright owner or owners to submit the article. Authors are the initial owners of the copyrights to their works (an exception in the non-academic world to this might exist if the authors have, as a condition of employment, agreed to transfer copyright to their employer).
General Submission Rules
Submitted articles cannot have been previously published, nor be forthcoming in an archival journal or book (print or electronic). Please note: "publication" in a working-paper series does not constitute prior publication. In addition, by submitting material to , the author is stipulating that the material is not currently under review at another journal (electronic or print) and that he or she will not submit the material to another journal (electronic or print) until the completion of the editorial decision process at . If you have concerns about the submission terms for , please contact the VP Publications.
Each paper will be reviewed by at least one reviewer invited by the scientific committee. Reviewers will be assessing its suitability for publication in the proceedings. On the basis of the review your paper will be categorised as one of the following:
- Reject: Not suitable for publication in the Proceedings.
- Major revisions required for acceptance: The paper is rejected unless the authors can make satisfactory responses to the reviewers' concerns. The paper will then be accepted only if all the concerns are addressed to the satisfaction of the reviewers.
- Accept with minor revisions: The authors must respond to the reviewers' concerns to the satisfaction of the editor of the proceedings.
- Accept: The paper is accepted without revision needed. If you have concerns about the submission terms for , please contact the VP Publications.
ISBS proceedings have specific rules for the formatting of articles upon initial submission. Please submit your paper according to the format described here. Although can provide limited technical support, it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to produce an electronic version of the article as a high-quality PDF (Adobe's Portable Document Format) file, or a Microsoft Word, WordPerfect or RTF file that can be converted to a PDF file.
It is understood that the current state of technology of Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF) is such that there are no, and can be no, guarantees that documents in PDF will work perfectly with all possible hardware and software configurations that readers may have.
Rights for Authors
As further described in our submission agreement (the Submission Agreement), in consideration for publication of the paper, the authors assign to all copyright in the article, subject to the expansive personal--use exceptions described below.
Attribution and Usage Policies
Reproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the article or any material therein, in any medium as permitted by a personal-use exemption or by written agreement of , requires credit to as copyright holder (e.g., © ).
The following uses are always permitted to the author(s) and do not require further permission from provided the author does not alter the format or content of the articles, including the copyright notification:
- Storage and back-up of the article on the author's computer(s) and digital media (e.g., diskettes, back-up servers, Zip disks, etc.), provided that the article stored on these computers and media is not readily accessible by persons other than the author(s);
- Posting of the article on the author(s) personal website, provided that the website is non-commercial;
- Posting of the article on the internet as part of a non-commercial open access institutional repository or other non-commercial open access publication site affiliated with the author(s)'s place of employment (e.g., a Phrenology professor at the University of Southern North Dakota can have her article appear in the University of Southern North Dakota's Department of Phrenology online publication series); and
- Posting of the article on a non-commercial course website for a course being taught by the author at the university or college employing the author.
People seeking an exception, or who have questions about use, should contact the ISBS VP Publications.
General Terms and Conditions of Use
Users of the website and/or software agree not to misuse the service or software in any way.
The failure of to exercise or enforce any right or provision in the policies or the Submission Agreement does not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any term of the Submission Agreement or these policies is found to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the Submission Agreement and these policies remain in full force and effect. These policies and the Submission Agreement constitute the entire agreement between and the Author(s) regarding submission of the Article.